Monday, November 19, 2012

Another lamentation on executive powers

WeaselZippers points out yet another of Obama overseas lamentations...

BeltwayConfidential: During a lengthy speech at the University of Yangon in Burma, President Obama signaled the important traits of American democracy, particularly his limited powers as president.

“As President, I cannot just impose my will on Congress — the Congress of the United States — even though sometimes I wish I could,” he stated. “The legislative branch has its own powers and its own prerogatives, and so they check my power and balance my power.”

Obama also mentioned his responsibilities as Commander-In-Chief of the United States Military were limited by civilians.

“America may have the strongest military in the world, but it must submit to civilian control,” he said. “I, as the President of the United States, make determinations that the military then carries out, not the other way around. As President and Commander-In-Chief, I have that responsibility because I’m accountable to the people. ”

Obama also praised American rule of law, noting that while he could appoint judges, he was not allowed to tell them how to rule.

“You need to reach for a future where the law is stronger than any single leader, because it’s accountable to the people,” he added.

Let's see...he acknowledges that he doesn't have power to impose his will on Congress; YET, whenever he doesn't like the way the legislative process proceeds (illegal immigration, DODT, etc.), he misuses the power of the executive to bypasses them via fiat. And that's not imposing his will? I don't think I even have to mention how his will has been imposed through the two justices thus far that Obama's installed in the Supreme Court, as well as numerous lower federal judges. The man not only mocks the rule of law, but seeks to thwart it with every move he and his statist cohorts make.

He also mentions his role as the Commander-In-Chief...we've seen how well he adhere's to the prior imposition of his will. If it weren't for conservatives and certain rights (take the 2nd Amendment for example), I shutter to think of a dystopian future with a guy like Obama seeking a full-bore dictatorship, and having to put the military's submission to civilan control to the test. If America continues down the road this man is paving, who knows what's in store for us...