Monday, September 12, 2016

a perspective of values, conscience and faith

Something that I didn't really address last week (primarily because I was so busy with my real job, but partially because I've just grown weary of the absurdity) was something that I kinda thought would eventually be the case, but had hoped would just be left unsaid: Levin finally saying 'Uncle!' to the Trump vote.

Whether you take Streiff's take on it, John Ziegler'sSteve Berman's, or a whole host of others' perspectives on it, it's obvious that this decision came not as the grand endorsement that some want to make it out to be, but as a submission to the lesser of two evils. Even days after, I heard Levin reflect on how the GOP's response to the last three presidential elections have been a RINO, another RINO, and now a man with yuge negatives. But...fear is so often proven to be the great motivator.

Yet, taking into account my overall perspective of values, conscience and faith, I've reached the point where I can no longer allow fear to supersede civic and ethical courage. And maybe that's what struck me so intently towards Erick Erickson's message on Monday...
I’ve written often that if you have concluded that Trump is better than Clinton, I think it is perfectly reasonable to vote for him. I think they are both equally terrible options, but I don’t fault anyone for concluding otherwise.

But what I continue to be amazed by is the level of anger and despair. There really are people you and I know who believe the nation will come to an end if Clinton is elected. They are losing hope. They are scared for themselves and their children’s future. They’ve literally shown up on my doorstep and at my office. They’ve yelled at my kids in the store that their father was going to ruin their lives and destroy the country by not supporting Trump.

And all I can wonder is if there is a level of failure on the part of the church in this. Have preachers, comfortable in Christian America, failed to preach that we are just passing through? Have we failed to make the case that our citizenship is not dependent on a nation, but on a Savior? I don’t hope in the United States. I hope in Jesus. And because I believe God is sovereign I just cannot get angry about the direction of one election in one year. God is in control. He is never going to demand I have to choose between two evils. He will order this world perfectly to lead me toward his perfection.

I can’t despair. I can’t lose hope. I know I’m on the team that wins in the end and the here and now is all temporary. God is not going to ask us if we voted for Trump or Clinton. The chief end of man is glorifying God and enjoying him forever, not yelling at my neighbor and wallowing in pity that another sinner will become the 45th consecutive sinner to hold the job of President.

I just have to wonder if the church in America, so comfortable in our cultural Christianity, dropped the ball on actual Christianity. It’s not an easy religion. But it is real and right and not fleeting like this year or this nation or these people who now compete for our attention.

Cast your burdens on Jesus, not on me with your rage over my opting out of voting for either Clinton or Trump. Cast your burdens on Jesus. He can carry you through the season of whichever sinner is President.
...which I also found quite complimentary to what Monday was for Glenn Beck's program...
The day after America was attacked, Americans were not obsessed with political parties and differences like skin color or religion. Following the devastating attacks on September 11, 2001, citizens united as Americans, standing together to protect the greatest nation ever created. The 9/12 movement is about bringing people back to that same feeling of togetherness and uniting on common values and principles.

For me, and maybe for you, obviously for many others, uniting under a shared spiritual, ethical courage, pursuing Providence, seems like a more honest and conscientious focus, than the demands of which evil to choose and which sinner to lead it.

No comments:

Post a Comment